Thingy of the day

The question is not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The question is: what dance are they doing?

Monday, March 29, 2010

Life, love, and math.

This poem is an attempt to make math and numbers possibly seem slightly alive if that's possible. (I'm not the greatest fan of things numerical, as you may have guessed.)

Theorems

If confusion is to sadness as life is to pain,
then reality divided by perception equals sanity.

If we walk at ninety degrees to to what we believe,
then do two wrong angles make a right?

Hell+heaven multiplied by people divided by limbo=earth.

If fingers on keys type love notes or hate mail,
does my keyboard cry bold font tears?

If i slide down a ruler, do i end up in the sands of time?
Or the dust of ages?

Or are rules broken by figures fired from the barrel
of chaos theory?

Anger+crowds times fear=riot divided by police action+violence multiplied by stupidity-apathy+mob psychology=life.

If I don't travel a third of the way around the wheel of life,
do I still get pi in the sky?

if music is to madness, as ink is to imagination,
then life is love is light is loss is lethargy is luck is life.

And if names were numbers,
would you+me equal us,
or them?

2 comments:

  1. If this were facebook I would hit the "like button" repeatedly. It's interesting, how you choose to use a subject entirely unpoetic and often unappealing to certain minds and create something very poetic with it. This one is thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with (Firefly) I read it three times, and every time I liked more.
    It is just beautiful.
    Thank you Sir.

    ReplyDelete