Thingy of the day

The question is not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The question is: what dance are they doing?

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Hunt

This is a fun little poem inspired by the hundreds of wolf spiders that inhabit my yard.

The Hunt


Patient, in the browning grass,
all is still, time made of glass.
My prey remains as still as i,
but a movement in the earth i spy.

Time shatters, the world narrows
to a half blurred circle going past like an arrow,
eight legs beat a tattoo on the ground,
all the watchers they scatter as they feel the sound.

Low to the the ground, i skid through the dust,
pounding legs threaten to break the earths crust.
wind through the grass blades, fly through the flowers,
the seconds are rubber, they stretch out to hours.

A wolf in the gravel, i race and i run,
my quarry is tiring, my chase almost done,
then finally i catch him, my vision stops spinning,
I'm through with today's "population thinning".

I remain the assassin of this waving green ocean,
my name is spider, natural selection in motion.


3 comments:

  1. hmmm it's an interesting premise, and I like the first stanza especially, but it's a little clunky I find...and confusing as to what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to super rhythmic African chants really gave this reading experience something extra. :)
    I love poems where the writer takes the ordinary and often overlooked and spins it (no pun intended) into something else.
    The rhyme scheme was very strong - more so near the end again - and the last stanza was profound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The imagery is great.It's an attribute to the author.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete