Thingy of the day

The question is not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The question is: what dance are they doing?

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Only Human


.

Only Human.

Teeth and claws,
blood and bones,
fur and fire
is all that remains in my dusty attic of a mind.

But I still remember.

I remember death.
I remember the ground painted red.
I remember fighting every accursed day to be human,
in my house on the hill. All alone.
The children threw rocks at me,
their parents hurried them away.
and tried to burn down my home.

But still I fought it, fought to keep what little sanity I had left,
and then it all became
too much.
The jeers,
the curses,
the attempts on my life.
All I wanted was to exist!
But a monster they wanted, and a monster they got.

It all became a blur, but
I remember,
the dead,
the wounded,
the hunters trying to kill me.
So this is what I have been turned into.
A creature who lives to destroy,
who lives to cause misery, because I do love company.
A creature harried and beaten, twisted and hated by everybody who drove me to become what I am.

So I ask you, my civilized friend:
who is the animal here?

3 comments:

  1. I like the rawness of the emotion in this piece. It speaks a lot of the cages that society builds for itself. Yet the ambiguity of the speaker's situation is almost as powerful as the subject itself. This could be a gay person, a person of ethnic differences or simply a kid who got bullied and lashed out. And because as readers we don't know, it has the potential to be very personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I finally made it, And I like it a whole lot, its always nice to read different aspects of poetry and how others write it for them, The poem above touched some raw cords and pushed some buttons in me I haven't felt for a LONG time. If you have the ability to evoke, remind, stir the reader then your job is but done. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Peace and Good Will.

    P.s I've created a fan page for my blog on Facebook, there is a badge for it on the right hand side, The reason I tell you this is because if you have Facebook your more then welcome to come and join and post your own links to your work as it will be used to promote my work and others out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! it touches me to the bone.
    It just takes me away-forever.

    THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete