Thingy of the day

The question is not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The question is: what dance are they doing?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Swung

All those who are patrons of music, this is for you guys.

Swung

I am. One little drummer playing to his own tune.

One little chord of dissent
jumping up and down, out of time with the rests and pauses,
one little note hopping on and off the beat,
EmPhAsIzInG EaCh WoRd A liTtLe DifFeReNt.

I ignore the score they try and make me play,
I write my own lead sheet, and improvise my own lyrics,
just to keep 'em guessing.

But to be fair I leave them clues, I write them notes that form
blues riffs,
and ragtime runs,
a staircase of paper music that collapses when they try and jam it into their 4/4 C+ prison.

I am. One little drummer, playing to his own stumblingly syncopated tune,
but,

I am. small and quiet next to the crashing, crushing crescendoes of an orchestral armada,
they try and stuff me into their dusty, joyless, four-beat, straight-laced, symphonic cell block,

they've made a musical morgue, frozen in time,
moving so fast it's run out of time, time metronoming tick-tocking tick-tock, tic-,
and then suddenly we have no time 5/4 or 6/8, no time for
swung bars or pushed notes.
A jazz-free jail, a classical closed door that has thrown away the C#- key to it's own cell
but,
No jarring, geometrical sheet music
is going to stop me from cake walking my way through life.

I've stopped paying the piper, and started to write my own songs,

I am. One little drummer
playing to his own tune.

2 comments:

  1. This one is probably my favourite thus far. It's powerful and I think it speaks volumes to a wide variety of the people reading it, even if they aren't as musically inclined as you.
    The repetition creates a nice structure, and the use of capitals in the 5th line was brilliant. There is something really attractive about that layout, I can't figure out why or how, but you've certainly done it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just brilliant, as you know we all have our own style, yours is absolutely marvelous.

    Again thanks.

    ReplyDelete